Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Dining Advice

So I'm hoping to launch a new Q & A advice section for my paper. Readers can present their food quandaries or dining etiquette questions.

Anyone can email a question in at jacksonvilledish@gmail.com

I will post them here from time to time! Here's my first question and my answer:

Q: My husband and I are going to the Jacksonville area for our anniversary this weekend. I am intrigued by the Tapas restaurants. There is nothing like them around here. Is it considered rude to eat at one of these establishments if you don't drink?

A: You're not obligated to drink anything anywhere, even at a wine bar. Even though waiters love lushes (because the price of alcohol drives up the bill price and their tip) as the customer, the staff is serving at your pleasure. If you're worried about what the people dining with you think, most of the time as long as you don't make a big deal about it, they won't. If they do, they're the one being rude. A person who doesn't know you might be curious and ask why, but that's no reason for you to fret. What you do or don't drink is your choice, whatever the reason. Just an FYI though, call ahead to find out what you’ll be drinking. Non-alcoholic beverages are often limited at a tapas place, so you might be drinking water.

If you have any dining questions for Dish, email us at JacksonvilleDish@gmail.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.