Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Holding Thanksgiving the Day AFTER

There are, in fact, some benefits to holding Thanksgiving the day after the real Thanksgiving. I ordered a deep fried turkey from Whitey's Fish Camp, namely because the none-too-bright girl who answered the phone was unable to tell me how spicy the Cajun seasoning was going to be. She said she hadn't tasted it and then said it "was probably a medium heat" and that it was about as spicy as the other food they serve. Because I cannot recall eating there, that didn't do me any good.

So I called Whitey's. They're $10 cheaper and were more helpful. Because I am picking up the turkey the day after Thanksgiving, it will still be warm and won't need much heating up. If I were holding Thanksgiving on the actual day, I would have had to pick it up the day before Thanksgiving. It would then cool as it sat in the fridge and the reheating in the oven would take forever! The whole point of a deep fried turkey is how moist it is. Sticking it in the oven for that amount of time might wick some of that moisture away, though the crispy skin will help protect it.

No comments: