Sunday, December 21, 2008

Rumors and Restaurants


It's tough to keep a restaurant running in the best of times. In the current economy we're going to see a lot of places closing. Going out to eat is one of the first things people cut when they slash their budgets. We can't really blame people for that. When they do go out to eat, they choose fast food or something they perceive as cheap.

We can expect that lots of places will be going down. Jacksonville Confidential recently incorrectly reported that two places would be shutting their doors.

One was going to be taken over by a new owner and possibly given a new name and the other, the other seems to be in limbo.

I asked the owner of Bungalow on Park if he was closing because of what I'd read on Jax Con. He replied with bravado that he wasn't closing, they weren't going to close and that they had only closed for private holiday parties.

Although his doors were open just a few days after Jax Con's announcement, I really don't know if I believe him. I know from experience that restaurant owners will often lie through their teeth about closing, right up until the day the repo men pry the stove and sink from their walls.

That being said, a rumor of a place closing can kill a restaurant just as quickly as debt can. So, I guess I'm hoping that Jax Con will be a little more careful in the future. I see they've amended the Pom's post, but they haven't done anything with the Bungalow post. At the very least, saying that they "closed their doors for good" on December 16th when they were clearly open after that and keeping it up, makes me think somebody has an axe to grind... (See Jax Con's comments below about how they don't have an axe to grind and my response).

2 comments:

The Editor said...

No axes. An employee of the Bungalow told us directly on the 16th that it was closed. After that comments on my blog began to blow up so im letting the facts emerge through that. I am certain that the owners read my posts and have no doubt that the intermittent opening since the 16th are, in fact, a ruse.

Epicurean Jax said...

As I said, people lie about closing until the repo men come, but they did not "close their doors for good." I was there when actual people were eating actual meals two days after that. You and I just differ in opinion as to how to handle it. You let the comments dictate, whereas I would change the blog text for an "official" word. If he is trying to get back on his feet, keeping that on your blog might be hurtful to his business. On the other hand, he may just be cleaning out the fridge.