Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Questions about the Riverside Arts Market

I do love Riverside Arts Market. Love the variety, the entertainment, the produce, the herbs and all the people walking dogs.

But there are a few things that I wonder about:
Why close mid December?
I get doing that up North or where is gets so snowy and cold you don't want to go anywhere outdoors. In Florida, people actually come out during the "cold" months because it's no longer the miserable heat. I am struggling to understand the rationale behind this.

The only thing I can think of is that it is the first year and the promoters wanted a break. Because there will certainly be a demand for it. Why would you close during snowbird season?

I know it's modeled after a market in Portland Oregon which closes from the end of Dec. through part of Feb. But the promoters can't be so thickheaded as to think that conditions in Portland, OR are the same as here in Jacksonville.

The website keeps emphasising that it's cool under the bridge. Maybe they think it will be so cool that no one will come? It doesn't provide that much relief. You still end up sweating when it's in the 90s.

Why are vendors such jumping beans?
I guess it's more fair to the vendors to be moved about so that one person doesn't get a prime spot all the time.

But, as a customer it's a little frustrating if I am looking for a particular vendor.

I get that it's possible it would make me walk the market a bit more because the vendors get "shaken up" so to speak.

I'm of two minds on this. It means that people won't go to a particular area all the time, which is good and it makes you take a fresh look at things. But it's also easy to miss a vendor you would normally visit if you don't have the time to walk the whole market. I've noticed that the produce section at least is in the same spot and is all together.

They may be changing this policy, because I have noticed that vendors are more often in the same spot than they used to be...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

They were talking about this in the latest issue of Folio Weekly. The promoters apparently announced that RAM would be reopening in April 2010; the article, however, made it sound that given the ongoing crowd level, the promoters may reconsider the seasonal closing. As with anything else in the Folio, it's best taken with a grain of salt.

Jean said...

Hi, glad to hear you love the market. I do too, which is why I volunteer on the RAM marketing committee. Maybe I can help answer your questions.

Why does the market close? You're right, market organizers wanted a break in order to analyze the market's performance and correct course if anything needed to be changed. However, because things have gone so well, RAM will likely reopen in March rather than April. Also, there's a very strong chance we'll still run a mini-market, focused only on produce (winter is the best growing season here in JAX), in January and February. We're toying with the name. What do you think about FRAM?

Vendors Jumping Around. It's important to keep the market feeling fresh, and so Tony Alligretti, the market director, is happy to mix things up. Now that the RAM vendors are able to book their spaces on-line, however, where you find your favorite vendor is mostly guided by where they choose to be.

Cool under the bridge. Okay, so maybe COOLER under the bridge is more accurate. I'll let Wayne Wood, the RAM-father, know.

Hope this helps! Please continue to come out and support the market. There are some terrific theme days planned for the rest of the year. Viking Day this Saturday! (I know, sounds cheesy, but it will be great.)

Epicurean Jax said...

Thanks, I was just wondering. FRAM sounds like a great idea!