Sunday, February 9, 2014

Hawkers Asian Street Fare

The soft open of Hawkers did not disappoint. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much from a space that had doomed countless other ventures, restaurant and otherwise. But I was blown away by the food. Asian fare, so often, is done too broadly, flavors exaggerated, pushing them well past the delicate balance the dishes should have, when they're done right.

I brought along a dining partner that has spent some time in Beijing and knows the cuisine. The steamed dumplings, she said, would be her test. And they more than passed. My test was the roast duck. I love duck but am afraid to order it at most places, because it's a commitment. When duck is good, it can be very, very good, but when duck is bad it makes me very, very sad. The small plate of roast duck was cheap enough for me to take the risk. I'm glad I took it. Best. Duck. Ever.

The bok choy was tasty, but impossible to eat with chopsticks and problematic to eat with a fork and no knife. If you're coming in while it is still soft open, know this: they have no knives. Ask if they do. When they have them, you can safely order the bok choy.  The quality was good enough that I am perfectly fine with the fact that I looked a bit barbaric eating it. Om nom nom nom!

Also: great service.

We ordered three small plates, two entrees, Thai tea, coke and a small sake. Total before tip was about $50.

Things to Know: They take chopstick etiquette seriously. Don't worry, there's handy graphics on the menu to educate you!

Hawkers 1001 Park Street, Jacksonville, Florida 32204
(904) 508-0342

No comments: