Friday, July 6, 2007

Autobots, Transform!

So, this new Transformers movie...I was waiting for it to come out with a mixed sense of anticipation and dread.

Anticipation because movie tech is able to do the 'bots justice and dread because movie scripts and plotlines suck ass these days. What if they did it badly? Would the pain be too much to bear?

Actually, the movie rocks. I think there are some fanbois out there that will disappointed in some of the changes and tweaks made to the 'bots, but by and large, those fanbois will be happy that they even made this...even if they hated it.
I had a few Transformer toys as a kid, but my nostalgia was sorta fuzzy. Unlike the guy that sat next to us at the preview performance, I do not have a tattoo of the Autobots logo and I can't name all the Decepticons.

But the movie jogged my memory and I even got a few "in-jokes."

The flick's weakest point is something it couldn't have done without-- Optimus Prime moralizing in a very deep voice, mostly about how humanity has a lot to learn but we have good in us, yada-yada...That's Prime alright...I'd forgotten how he tended to do that in the old series. No wonder Megatron always wanted to off him.

But I digress. My point here is that the film is worth seeing on the big screen, if only for the bad-ass robot fights.

Even if you know nothing about Transformers, you'll like the movie. (In fact, it might help.) The script is funny, the action movies swiftly and the perspective is human.
Read my official review from EU here: http://www.eujacksonville.com/pages/07-05-07/transformers.htm

No comments: