Saturday, August 21, 2010

Top Pot Donuts Seattle and Maurice's BBQ South Carolina


So I've been a bit busy. In the past two months, I've been to Seattle, drove to North Carolina and I've had three different sets of house guests. But I've been able to taste some really great food.

In Seattle, Top Pot Donuts was recommended to me by local Jacksonville Chef Dennis Chan. It was worthwhile because they were really good donuts. First, a bit of lore about the name. When Top Pot first opened, the owner was on a shoestring budget, so he bought a secondhand sign that said Top Spot. The S in spot wasn't quite operational, so he took it off. Hence, Top Spot Donuts became Top Pot Donuts, even though pots are not involved.

There are basically two different styles of donuts. The one pictured above is the "cake style" donut. The texture inside is almost like a slightly dry cup cake, perfect for dunking! The other style is the old school donut, aptly named the old-fashioned. We got a dozen. choosing as many different types as we could. It wasn't hard since they have about 40 varieties of donuts. They're really filling and they taste amazing. There's no scarfing down of five donuts because they're huge and decadent.

My other great dining experience was in South Carolina. You may have heard of Maurice's BBQ. We stopped there by chance on our way to North Carolina. We indulged in the buffet, where I discovered ribs so tender and soaked with flavor that I had to close my eyes to better experience them. South Carolina loves their sauces, and the mustard-based sauce on my ribs was amply dramatic and savory. I didn't take a picture because the camera was packed away and because, quite honestly, barbecue often isn't beautiful. It tasted beautiful, but it certainly didn't look it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Spoke with a coworker from SC today; apparently Maurice's is a chain in that state. Can you imagine--a chain?!? Anyway, he was quite familiar with the wonderfulness that is Maurice's. His eyes lit up when I mentioned it--and no wonder!

Anonymous said...

Took me time to read all the comments, but I actually enjoyed the write-up. It proved to become Pretty useful to me and I’m certain to all the commenters right here It is always good when you can not only be informed, but also entertained I’m sure you had fun writing this write-up. XR2011K6

Jessica said...

I am headed to South Carolina next month...and I can't wait to try the BBQ! Yum!